Friday, February 18, 2011

welp.


I feel like time has gone by so. slow... today. Ive been taking this Language Gender and Society class, which... is mostly just women's studies and our misfotunes with overbearance of masculine vanacular. I am so angry. I am angry at that class and at myself. I couldnt believe how traditional and fitting of the femina stereotype I really was. I am pink, with flowers, and sweets, and things that girls are supposed to be. ALTHOUGH, I see some things in my like Lisbeth Salander and Natalie Portman in V for Vendetta. I want to be fearless. I want to be liberated, not from stereotypes or social construct of what it means to be a woman, because lets face it.. its a part of me now. I want to be liberated from myself. I want to search with a light into myself and not fear what there really is. For this reason, I can only attribute my realization of self liberation to this godforsakenclass...

I think the reason I am so frustrated with it, is not because my professor is an extreme French Feminist, no.. that doesnt bother me, its the content of the class. Its the idea of obliterating our vocabulary as we speak it today. FreshMAN, huMANity, master, bachelor, etc. these words that insinuate that women are lesser.

MY NAME IS A FEMALE VERSION OF KING, by the way.


So, i sit here and contemplate on labels. I dont want one. I am neither traditional or feminist or girl or anything. I just want to be me. Erika, the girl that is only five feet tall, who giggles too often, who likes blue cheese and cigarettes. I am me. i am....

This may be a touchy subject to many or some, I just merely wanted to explain how I felt about this class. It really bothers me how disturbed it makes me feel. I am bothered...

1 comment:

  1. I get bothered by that subject sometimes too. I don't think a lot of women realize how empowered they could be.

    ReplyDelete